DC Lighting & Renewable Power Information
Lighting downtime caused by AC grid failure, outages, and other threats create organizational safety and financial risks. Risk of failures has created an imminently growing need for DC-powered emergency, back-up, remote-site, and off-grid lighting. The cost of building power continues to increase, and lighting costs represent over 70% of power usage. AC limits the cost savings and reduced carbon footprint benefits from renewable and sustainable power sources (Solar, Battery Storage). AC limits the ability power control costs & efficiency and the flexibility of sharing lighting power consumption among various power sources, further limiting control of power usage & costs. AC to DC conversions in standard AC systems are inefficient (avg. 5 to 10% conversion loss). In many processes where consistency and lighting quality is priority. AC lighting circuits are “noisy” and inconsistent, causing flicker and pulsing.
The DC Lighting Solution
Marshall is leading the DC lighting evolution – bringing DC LED to the commercial & industrial world. Our reliable LED fixtures address the growing need for DC to DC, back-up, remote-site, and off-grid lighting.
LED is the proven replacement for Incandescent…with longer life span and more efficient than standard fluorescent (tube) lamps. Marshall DC LED fixtures are manufactured with LED lamps. DC lighitng is the essential link between lighting and DC power sources, seamlessly connecting to renewable / sustainable DC power sources (solar & battery storage).
The building power industry is evolving toward DC…you should be prepared for any contingency, so we offer a variety of DC fixtures that helping you mitigate risk of lighting downtime and provide you peace of mind. We believe you should never be left in the dark.
- Innovation and lower cost are driving the DC lighting market.
- Minimizing power conversions can save energy in any electrical system, and LED lighting is a good match for a DC grid and also renewable energy such as solar power in green buildings.
Applications & Uses
Simplified depiction of (a) a typical AC building microgrid and (b) a typical DC building microgrid.
- THERE ARE several factors driving local, regional, and national electricity distribution towards direct current (DC).
DC Powered Buildings
Substations & Batteries
Marshall DC Lighting has many customers using DC electric fixtures to power their substation lighting during outages.
- In just five years Papua New Guinea has achieved dramatic growth to become a leader among developing countries in the use of off-grid solar products.
DC Backup & Grid Resiliency
- 44% of respondents have considered investing in microgrids for their facility.
- 54% of those respondents those who expressed interests in microgrids did so because of critical operations that require uninterrupted power supply.
- The utility-scale battery located outside of Houston will connect to the same grid that faltered in February’s freeze.
- A battery that size could power about 20,000 homes on a hot summer day.
- The Department of Homeland Security issued a report on China’s ability to conduct an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack on the United States.
Learn More About DC Power, Grids, & Renewables
“DC Lighting – Empowering Grid Resiliency” TM